Sunday 12 March 2017

RICHARDS BAY MUSICIAN, SIMMY SIMS WAITING FOR INDUSTRY BREAKTHROUGH

Simmy Sims recording a song with headphones in the ears and mic in front of him. (Picture: Facebook)
An image of Simphiwe Mthembu taken in one of his music video performances. (Picture: Facebook)


 
                                           https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38lptgXpq_s

Despite his continued hustle without getting a contract, Richards Bay’s underground artist, Simphiwe Mthembu is confident that the delay in breaking the music industry will be worth the wait.


 
The 20-year-old, whose stage name is Simmy Sims has been an underground artist since the age of 13 and believes that perseverance and hustle would be key to him unlocking the doors in the industry.
 

“I have been in the game for a while now. I have achieved a lot of things in the past seven years, I dropped my first mixtape at the age of 16, and I have been fortunate to have ‘Hustle’ my song televised on 1KZNTV,” Mthembu said.
 

Mthembu, who is also a third year Fine Art student at Durban University of Technology (DUT) said that music is part-time due to a congested schooling schedule.
 

“Weekend for me are not holidays, but they give me time to hustle on my music,” Mthembu said.
 

Immediately after arriving in Durban for the first year of study at DUT, the former John Ross College old boy made several attempts to break into the music industry.
 
“Having to be ignored has become a normal thing for me in the industry. I sent my first mixtape ‘Living in my head’ to Isiphethu Records and it received praises from both Ngane Sikobi and Zakwe, but no actions of signing me or featuring me were made by the recording label,” Mthembu said.

 

‘Living in my head’ mixtape also featured Lady Smith Black Mambazo, and had 22-tracks in it.
 

Just like we all need role models, the music of J-Cole and Bryson Tillers played a crucial role in the music genre preferred by Simmy Sims.
 

In 2016, Simmy Sims remixed Aka’s song, Composure and kuze Kuse by Fifi Cooper featuring Emtee.
 

Mthembu’s YouTube channel current has close to 50 subscriptions, and his latest uploaded video titled Bryson Tillers classics has been gaining momentum on the internet.
 

Like most aspiring artists, Simmy Sims dream of the ‘award winning musician’ status behind his name.
 

Simmy Sims latest Mixtape titled ‘Before the Album’ was released on 24 February 2017 and has lived up to its expectations, selling over 60 copies in just two weeks of release.
 

 

No comments: